Sunday, October 19, 2014

Off to India again...

Arun teaching and demonstrating at Brentwood Yoga Center

October 19, 2014

"Atha Yoganusasanum" (Now the exposition of Yoga begins)
 
Although it's been a little hard for me to wake up lately as the Northern California days grow short and the weather is turning cool and crisp, I did wake up early this morning. It was the sounds of morning that tuned me in. I heard the Canada Geese honking, the doves cooing, my cat meowing form the other room, and the very faint sound of cars driving. As I opened my eyes, thinking, well, this is the last morning in my own bed, next to my warm husband for 3 weeks, I remembered the amazing sounds of India. The mornings in India will be quite different--first before day break, I'll hear the chant of prayers from the nearby mosque in Bangalore, then the vegetable cart lady calling for sales, the dogs beginning to bark, and one beep, two beeps of the cars and buses, which will turn into a riot of beeps very quickly and not subside until late in the evening.

I was having mixed emotions about returning to India. Several close family members of mine aren't in 100% of health and I am concerned about being so far away (India is a 20 hour plane ride), and then (not to open a can of worms), there's all these virus' being spread around on airplanes. I'm usually not paranoid, but a few close friends and family (who all watch TV and the news too much in my opinion) have urged me not to go because of this. My mom even offered to pay for my trip if I would please cancel. It's hard to not have this in the back of your mind.

"Yogas CittaVrtti-Norodah" (Yoga is settling the mind into silence)

It was actually my dear, dear husband, who said to me last night, "All will be fine, you are always careful, we will all be fine. Make this a spiritual trip, and stop worrying." Wow, was that really Bobby that said make it a spiritual trip? The trip is always spiritual to India, I know that, but somehow I let that part slip away from me in the me hem of getting caught in the mind stuff. I tripped and fell on the very basic teachings of this practice I love so much. So thanks a million my love, Guru-Bobby, I am set back in balance like a strong, blissful  Tadasana, and I am ready to go.

I look forward to practice every morning and afternoon with Arunji and the community at Prashant Yogashraya. I look forward to celebrating Arunji's 60th birthday with him. I look forward to celebrating Prashant Yogashray's 30th anniversary. I look forward to being in India during Diwali. I look forward to putting on my Sari and wearing Indian clothes. I look forward to eating the best Indian food ever and having lots of veggie and vegan choices! I look forward to my little side-trip down to the southern tip of India. I look forward to the wonderful assault on all my senses--sounds, sights, smells, taste, and touch.

I'll try to blog as much as possible (WiFi willing)--stay tuned. Reply back with questions!

Namaskar,
Sandy



2 comments:

  1. See you at the gate before we board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful trip, my wonderful teacher.

    ReplyDelete