Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The rest of the trip...

So, what happened to days 8-14? Where did we go, what did we do?
Well, there was no WiFi at Yoga Nikaya, so we kind of dropped off the grid for a week, which was actually great! Yoga Nikaya was so peaceful and quiet, such a contrast to the busy city of Bangalore, and a welcome change.
So, I'm summarizing the rest of the trip. First let me start with a sum total of what we saw and did:
Aside from having Bangalore 'do us' (ha!) we saw Leela Palace, a fancy posh hotel which I already blogged about; lunch at Koshy's--I call it a 'flash back restaurant,' with a complete menu of Indian and American food, plus the infamous 'Thums Up' soda-pop (sweet, syrupy coke--actually made by Coke); Nandi Temple; Mysore Palace; Krishna Consciousness Temple; Halebeedu Temple; Vishnu Shanti Ashram; Belhur Temple (Mr. Iyengar's birthplace); Yoga Nikaya (the brand new, beautiful retreat center just south of Bangalore; attended the Harvest Festival, complete with decorated, dressed up cows getting blessed with water and fire; and a visit the the most amazing organic farm run by Ghandians (people who follow the teachings of Mahatma Ghandi).
There were so many wonderful things that occurred during our stay at Yoga Nikaya. The first real delight for me was being greeted with a fresh coconut. I don't know, I must have been really thirsty and hungry from the 2 hour drive into the country, but nothing ever tasted so refreshing and delightful, and the meat inside the coconut was so sweet and soft, I ate the whole thing!
The daily invocation (several times a day) to Patanjali must have brought him to me as the first night I was there, I dreamed of snakes--not in a scary way, but just lots of beautiful, colorful snakes. It wasn't until a few days later that I realized the significance of it. I had lots of vivid dreams during my stay there--perhaps it was the energy of the place and my energetic response to the Indian experience, or the really firm (ok hard), thin mattress I attempted to sleep on which was organically stuffed with coconut hair, or maybe it was the cold-water bucket baths--so refreshing and enlightening--I have a new appreciation for water running hot from the tap. These dreams could also be influenced by the amazing Chai, and delightfully spiced food there, enhanced by the experience of eating with my fingers, and the sweet soft friendly voices and company of the local Indian students, and international students with us--from Chili, Argentina, and Denmark.  But truly, it must have been from the amazing, I mean amazing classes that Arunji taught. His expert, precise instruction combined with such an artistic way of using props was truly the highlight of India for me. The consistency of practicing for several hours a day along with great great food, sweet company, and relaxed atmosphere just lends to an opening in the body, mind and spirit. We were even more blessed by the array of exposure to art, dancing, music and ayurvedic lectures we received while there. What an experience for all the sense organs! Even in writing this last long entry about India here on this blog, I feel I am not doing it justice.
I wrote in my journal, "I have changed. Go home changed. Spend more time with those you love, with the activities that inspire you, and worry less about what doesn't really matter."
And, Arunji is the real deal--he has a way of seeing and teaching that transcends. One day, I heard him chanting/singing to himself as I walked by his room, I wished I could have bottled it up so I could open it when I needed to remember the feelings I had once home. His little sayings (so many of them) before class still stick with me. "Be silent first to practice anything" "Exhaling is most important. Life begins with an exhale, life ends with an exhale, we sneeze, cough, cry, and talk all with an exhale. And if you have been good in your life, your friends and loved ones will cry for you with an exhale." "Be doubly careful if you practice pranayama, if you aren't, it will eat you and you may become sick""You must have a personal practice; the teacher--your inner teacher arrives during personal practice" "Do not let you heart become dry and your chest to close--this makes us depressed"
Right now (it's been just a few days since I returned home) I am grateful for the fresh memories as I know they will fade (as all things do) with time. For now, I can still see the vivid colors of the sun rising and setting, the incredible full moon, the sensual delight of a few hot water/bucket bath :), and the lingering tastes, smells, and sounds of India.
Where are the pictures? All you need to do is check out the Facebook page of any of us that went--there are thousands (I took over a thousand myself, including video) for you to view and enjoy!

Will I return? You bethcha! I can't imagine not returning...come join me next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment