Friday, December 2, 2016

A Journey to the Source

It was a BIG decision deciding to go to Pune and study with the Iyengars. I had been thinking about it for many, many, many years.  The advise I always got though was, "don't go." Even my family (except my incredible husband) did not want me to go.  But still, the strong desire tugged and pulled at my heart. What to do? The final push to apply for admittance nearly 2 years ago after my dear teacher Donald Moyer retired and I was trying out some other teachers. Although I miss him terribly, I was lucky enough to find a wonderful community where I feel so welcomed and loved. My new teacher, Heather Haxo Phillips (owner of Adeline Yoga in Berkeley) is a certified Iyengar teacher. She supported and mentored each step of the way to study the Iyengar method, apply for Pune and apply for Assessment. Another teacher I have taken classes with for years, Michael Lucey (who just passed his Senior Assessment this year) also teaches at Adeline so I arrived exactly where I was supposed to. Oh, and guess what? Yours truly just just became a CIYT too. I can't believe it!

Anyway, my point is, ALL my teachers have been Iyengar teachers, including dear Donald. I even had the good fortune about 8 years ago to have connected with a South Indian Senior Iyengar teacher, HS Arun from Bangalore who comes annually to my studio and teach.  I have made the glorious trek to Bangalore a few times to study with him. So---here I am at the SOURCE, in Pune, finally, the place where all my teachers came from. I've docked on the mother ship, communed with the Source Sangha. It feels so right to be here. Atha Yoganusasanam!

The trek to India is always an experience. It is certainly not for everyone, but I love it. More about that tomorrow. I'm seriously jet-lagged right now and need to go to bed so I don't fall asleep again during Pranayama class like I did tonight UGH!

Goodnight and
Stay tuned Yogis.

Me and my rommie, Stephanie Barnes-Castro at the RIMYI gate 



2 comments:

  1. LOL! That's right dear Donald's wisdom...how I miss it and him. Now I can quote him with true experience behind my words. 🙏👍🏽😜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this article on Yoga Retreats in India is absolutely enlightening! India has always been on my bucket list for its rich spiritual heritage, and this piece has convinced me that a Yoga Retreat is the perfect way to immerse myself in this incredible culture. The blend of serene landscapes, ancient wisdom, and authentic experiences make India an ideal destination for a transformative yoga journey. I appreciate the detailed information and recommendations provided here. It's inspired me to start planning my own Yoga Retreats in India soon!

    ReplyDelete