Friday, December 16, 2016

Back in Bangalore. A Coming Home in India

Yesterday, I left Pune nearly in the middle of the night to catch a flight to Bangalore where my dear teacher Arunji lives and teaches. I have to admit I was a little nervous traveling all by myself. I have always traveled to Lore with a bunch of friends, never all by my lonesome. A flood of doubts swirl in my head: What if the cab driver doesn't speak English? What if they don't take credit cards (my Rupees are running low and there are none to be found at the ATM's and Banks). What if I can't remember how to get to Prashant Yogashraya? However, my excitement truly gets overshadowed by trust. I conjured inspiration by Hanuman to take a leap of faith and trust I would land perfectly. I needed to, I could never think of coming to India and not go see Arunji, his family and the incredible warm community there. So, off I went at 4am.

Have a little Faith Sandy! Be more like Hanuman and take that leap!
(Hanuman Statue outside RIMIYI)

Well that leap couldn't have gone more smoothly. I had a relaxing ride to the airport and a smooth flight--we even got food, which is almost unheard of these days on a 90 minute flight.  However, there was still (for me) that daunting task of catching a cab from the airport to Arunji's place. OK, another leap, and guess what? Easy Peasy! Whoo Hooo! The only funny thing was the cab driver did not have navigation (WTH?) but thank goodness mine actually worked. As we neared Jayanagar I was delighted to have recognized the streets and even helped my driver with the last minute turns from memory. What!? Is this really me, I'm usually SO directionally challenged.

I've said it before, and I will say it again, pulling up to Prashant Yogashraya was truly like putting on an old favorite pair of jeans. As I pulled up and got out of the cab, I  immediately called my husband to let him know I arrived safely, and Voila, out stepped dear Arunji. He came out from his house with a  warm smile on his face, "come in, come in, have a cup of tea." My heart swelled. Ahhh...home, sweet home! His beautiful wife, Sri Matha and their son Arush all welcomed me--it was so lovely and comforting. I took a big sigh of relief and my shoulders relaxed. Wow, I made it all by myself! I literally patted myself on the back and we all laughed.

I got into the ladies class that first morning--no foreigners except me; lucky me! The Indian ladies are always so kind and helpful. I felt so grateful and full of joy. As we settled down for the invocation, I heard the vegetable cart lady singing out her calls in the street below. I couldn't help myself from smiling as it was such a comforting sound, deeply embedded in my memory.  I said to myself silently, "I really AM here." Class is lovely, as it always is with Arun. We worked at the wall and with the chair. A lovely practice of forward bends, twists, a nice long Sirsasana, Chair Sarvangasana in BK, then VK, followed by Savasana. The vegetable carts are parked outside the studio after class ends. Oh yum, everything looks so amazing. I have never seen such big cauliflower! I was invited to stay for lunch and then got a ride to my hotel. I couldn't have felt more blessed.


Vegetable Cart outside Prashant Yogashraya, Jayanagar, Bangalore

I checked into a familiar hotel where I've stayed before with friends. It felt weird to be there without them. It's a modern hotel, complete with Santa and a Christmas Tree in the lobby. My hotel room is clean and has a hot water pot. I make a cup of tea and FaceTime with my husband . The WiFi seems to be better than it has been in the past. My goodness, what more could a girl ask for?

Merry Christmas, from Best Western Jagadish, Bangalore

I relaxed for a while while waiting to go back to class in the evening.  I was happy to find my way in the dark back to the studio. I took another wonderful class, this time with some foreigners. It's funny how we all spot each other out so easily and connect. After walking back to my hotel after class, I had a delicious dinner and turned in for the night. Tomorrow I will attend an early class at the studio and then a group of us will take a 90 minute drive to Arunji's new overnight Yoga Center. We will spend the night there, take classes with Arunji and be in Yog. I can't wait! I am reminded of what is truly important to me and why I practice. It was always been about community for me. And it is becoming more and more important to me as I age. Forget about the fancy asanas and hip, skimpy yoga clothes, it is perfect to just practice and be a part of this Sangha. It's all so simple and pure. I feel fortunate to have taken this side trip and be in familiar surroundings and with my teacher. And there will be no WiFi for the next 36 hours or so. That's always enlightening!

More to come later. Thanks to those following this blog. Let me know if you have and feedback or want to know something in particular.


Namaskar,
and
Happy Holidays my friends.
May you all be in Yog this season with joy and love in your hearts

Someday I will learn to put on my own Saree

No comments:

Post a Comment