Saturday, December 10, 2016

Settling into Practice


So I've been in Pune for almost two weeks now. Time is flying by. We are near the end of the Intensive with Abijata. The intensive is a totally different vibe than taking classes at Institute. The morning sessions are 4 hours long (as opposed to the 90 minute classes at the Institute), with about 400 students attending (as opposed to maybe 30-40-ish at the Institute)  The venue is cramped. We are sometimes not only mat-to-mat but literally mats over lapping. We have these great prop kits that include 2 pranayama bolsters, 2 blankets, 1 block, and one strap. They came in a lovely suitcase. So those prop kits also have to fit in the venue too, along with the students and staff, which makes moving around from pose-to-pose complicated at times. Our apartment is right next door to the Institute. The venue for the Intensive is a 20-25 minute rickshaw ride in commute traffic. Hailing a rickshaw after class isn't a piece of cake. We walk up to one, or hail one down and half the time they say no when we tell them where we want to go. I'm not sure why, I have several theories about it.

This Morning at The Intensive

So what is my point? It is not to whine but to share with you that this has really been my personal opportunity to really practice Yog. This experience is not just about Asana and Pranayama, (although that has been incredible--Abi is doing an amazing job) but rather about looking at my own work with the Kleshas, Yama, and Niyama. I almost decided to not attend the Intensive after the first evening class--too many people, too cramped, too hot, too cold, the Chinese interpreter behind me was so loud, I could hardly hear Abi, and then on the way home in a rickshaw,  I witnessed a motorcycle crash right next to me (I literally could have touched the guy from my rickshaw--hell he could have crashed into my rickshaw). But I decided to go back, I had to. I've dreamed about being here, I traveled a long way, paid the fees, got the shots, took the prophylactic meds, so it didn't make complete sense to walk away. I am very glad I came back. I've been one of the first people waiting in line every morning since. It was actually one of the U.S. Senior teachers who pointed out that this really is an opportunity to embrace the holistic practice of Yog and live it. Well, there it is, Duh! Sometimes it takes good teacher to shed light on those dim corners overshadowed by ego, clinging, and ignorance. I am grateful, so incredibly grateful to be IN YOG, here at the source embracing the crazy, cramped crowd of yogis, Abi's fierce instruction, the misplaced props, and the challenge of getting a rickshaw home. I may actually miss it when I return home!


Rickshaw Ride Home, complete with air filter masks

What else will I miss? I will miss being in classes, laughing with my roommates, having a cook and a housekeeper call me Mamji when I walk in the door, being among so many international students, shopping at the vegetable stands, wearing Indian clothes, and having chai and cookies (made for me) at the end of each lunch.  What I will continue to practice at home is the techniques and sequences we have been working with, the ayurvedic self-care that I have embraced to stay strong and healthy here and most of all YOG.

More in my next Blog about eating and shopping...Oh Lord, has that been fun.

Good night for now my friends. Keep practicing.

2 comments:

  1. Heather talked about you being in India last night at Adeline Yoga. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Curry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dear Curry! I miss you all and look forward to being back in practice with you in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete